Friday, August 9, 2013

A Ray of Hope

I was seriously considering closing the Guide Company.   I did pray about it though and it occurred to me to wonder what would happen if missionaries called to another country gave up when things got difficult, when they got despondent, when it seemed that their work seemed to be in vain and was making no difference.

At the end of July our district had a bring and buy morning.   I decided not to overtax the transport system but rather take 3 Guides in my car to help sell what we had made.   The previous day the Guides had made racing cars out of boudoir biscuts, marshmallow baskets and modderkoekies.   (a mix of marie biscuits, melted marg, icing sugar and cocoa)   This enabled them to pass a clause in the discovers badge.

I met up with Jeanette and Blessing at the college on Saturday.   There was no sign of Samkelisiwe and it later turned out that she was sick that day.

The girls were great.   They manned our little stall responsibly and cheerfully.   I bought them each a breakfast roll and later gave them R5 each to spend.   The lady manning the stall next to me, Martine, suggested that they go and play the game outside which seemed like a bob for apples then find sweets in flour with your mouth.

DSC05108

Their delight just cheered me up so much.

Later Martine said she would try to get us sponsorship from the school she is involved with.   She also gave the girls some more money to spend.   They had the most amazing day.   Everybody was so kind to us and accepted us so well.   The girls interacted with some of the other Guides and at least for Jeanette and Blessing, it was a day to remember.   The day brought a ray of hope to my despondency.

No comments:

Post a Comment